Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Laksa
As I have promise that I will share something I like to eat in Malaysia, at top of the list is a very simple spicy noodle, name Laksa , the one that I like is Penang Laksa. I've not tasted this noodle for 2 fxxxing long years :-), it was a long wait. I'm very choosy when come to Laksa, since the laksa hawker stall (small stall that sell mainly noodles and other food), can be found everywhere, I only like the one in Ayer Itam market place laksa, the noodle is so smooth and the soup.... *wah lau ... DELICIOUS.... (Wah Lau - expression meaning like "Oh my God" in Penang's Hokkien dialect)

Penang Laksa will look "ugly" to some, especially for foreigner (Finn), Hey, if I can eat Finnish Mämmi (Look more like "Shit"...Sorry Finn guys, I need to explain to my home friends), so eating laksa is nothing for me:-)

Food will be anyway a very personal thing, so I hope I will not offence anybody :-) I always keep an open mind... unless it came to eating liver ...

As for the laksa, I got this explanation from Wikipedia:
"Penang laksa, also known as assam laksa from the Malay for tamarind, comes from the Malaysian island of Penang. It is made with mackerel (ikan kembung) soup and its main distinguishing feature is the assam or tamarind which gives the soup a sour taste. The fish is poached and then flaked. Other ingredients that give Penang laksa its distinctive flavour include lemongrass, galangal (lengkuas) and chilli. Typical garnishes include mint, pineapple slices, thinly sliced onion, hε-ko, a thick sweet prawn paste and use of torch ginger flower. This, and not 'curry mee' is the usual 'laksa' one gets in Penang."

As how it look like...(don't be scare.. look)





And below pictures are the Ayer Itam's market Laksa hawker place...it is near the main road, there will be always traffic jam, so, it is not the ideal place but that the Penang's style of having good food places, no air-con, wet market smell and noisy.. there will be always long queue during the holidays. Check out the soup !!!



It will be another 1 year to go for my next laksa trip :-) This previous trip I accidentally got sun burn on both my hands because I went there by bike (100cc only) and I have not regret.

2 comments:

The Real Mother Hen said...

Oh I love Penang Laksa, but somehow whenever I cook it outside of Penang, the smell is way too strong, even for me a true blue Penangite. Well, so I choose to believe that it is the combination of air pressure and the humidity in Penang that makes one love and wanna eat Penang Laksa in Penang... and no where else! Ha!

Anonymous said...

The place in Air Itam Lasksa near the market is cleaner now,.. way back in old day (when we still in High school time), that place is off limit to "non -Lasksa enthuasistic" ... hahah